I’ll be 32 years old in January, I only have a high school diploma, I live in a small, rural town, and I’ve never taken a class in computers, media, communication, or personal finance. In other words: I’m just a regular dude. My salary? Less than 35K take-home. My wife’s salary? Less than 30K take-home. So, what can a regular dude, who’s tired of being tired, and sick of being sick, DO to change his life? Well, here are a few of the things I’ve done, in less than TWO YEARS.
- Paid off over 11K in debt in less than 12 months.
- Saved over 20K in less than 10 months.
- Found out about blogging.
- Created a blog.
- Found out about podcasting.
- Created a podcast.
- Created a network of like-minded bloggers.
- Decided to lose weight.
- Lost 20 pounds (so far…).
- Read WELL-OVER 20 non-fiction books about finance, relationships, God, politics, etc.
- Opened an ESA for my daughter.
- Opened an ESA for my son.
- Published a podcast in the top 10 on Itunes Business News Section. (Come get some, Cramer)
- Adjusted salary for more retirement savings.
- Learned about online advertising.
- Implemented several types of advertising.
- Created a “brand”: NCN (No Credit Needed)
- Learned how to register a domain.
- Learned how to research, buy, and sell a stock, a bond, and a mutual fund.
- Learned a little html.
- Found deal sites on the Internet.
- Closed several credit card accounts.
- Opened an ING Direct savings account.
- Made tons and tons and tons of personal-finance friends.
- USED NO CREDIT!!!
This is just a short list of the changes that I’ve made in my life. I’ve learned many new things, I’ve found out how much / little I actually know about personal finance, and I’ve made some awesome, awesome friends. If you want to change, you can. You can make DRAMATIC changes, without the aid of formal education, much money, or much experience. What DO you need? Motivation, desire, a plan, a purpose, and determination. (The support of a loving spouse doesn’t hurt!) In other words: If you don’t like where you are today, start walking to where you want to be tomorrow. Wishing is like rocking in a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but doesn’t get you anywhere. Stop WISHING that your life was better / different / more exciting / better organized… Start BUILDING the life that you want. Now… Seriously, Go do it. Trust me… it ROCKS!!!
By the way… this is not a “how to” post. Nope. You KNOW WHAT TO DO!!! You’re just NOT DOING IT!!! Go do what you KNOW TO DO!!!