Dollar For Dollar Debt Reduction

My wife and I continue to work towards paying off our mortgage.  Each month we make our regular mortgage payment – and then we make an additional, principal-only payment.

For those curious, we send the regular mortgage payment on the first day of the month – and the principal-only payment on the second day.  Our mortgage company (actually, the mortgage company that purchased our mortgage from our original mortgage company) has a somewhat rudimentary online payment system, so we simply initiate two payments, back-to-back, from our online checking account.

In the memo section of the second check, I put apply to principal.  I’m not sure if they even look at the memo – but so far all of the principal-only payments have been properly applied to our account.

As it stands today, when I make my regular monthly mortgage payment, roughly 60% of the payment goes towards reducing principal.  The other 40% goes towards interest.  Even at today’s low interest rates – ours is less than 4% per year – that’s a lot of interest.

We also have to pay, directly, for insurance and property taxes.

When we make a principal-only payment, 100% of the payment goes towards reducing principal.  Our principal balance is reduced – thus increasing the principal-reducing power of subsequent payments – and not one cent goes towards interest.

For someone who dislikes debt as much as I do – making these dollar-for-dollar principal-only payments feels great.  It’s awesome to see the impact that even relatively small amounts – $50 here, $100 there – can have on the debt reduction process.


In less than 3 1/2 years, we have reduced the actual term of our mortgage by 6 months – and we are on pace to pay off our 15-year mortgage in 12 total years.  If we focus a little more, we should be able to reduce that total time to less than 10 years.  We will be in our mid-forties, debt free, living in a paid-for home.  That’s the plan.

Side notes:  We are still funding our retirement and savings accounts – but less aggressively than we did before we purchased our home.  We both feel that owning our own home – outright – is our top financial priority.

Tweet about this on Twitter2Share on Facebook0Share on StumbleUpon0Pin on Pinterest0

Add to Flipboard Magazine.

Recent Articles

One thought on “Dollar For Dollar Debt Reduction
  1. Pingback: Money Roundup: Winning at Monopoly Edition @ Financial Ramblings

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

View My Stats