A few days ago, I called my automobile insurance company and informed them that a deer had hit my car. The insurance adjuster just left, and he gave me an estimate of $2500 to fix the damage done to my car.
Now I have a decision (or two) to make. Just a few days before the collision with Mr. Deer, my wife and I talked about selling my car (and my old pickup truck) and buying a newer truck. I’d love to have a truck that was big enough to carry our whole family. There are five us, and we can’t fit in my standard-cab F-150.
Out of pocket, I’m looking at a $1000 deductible to fix the car. I really don’t feel like spending that much money, especially on a car that I might sell anyway, but I don’t want to drive around in a busted car, either.
Right now, I’m thinking about -
1. Paying the $1000, having the car fixed, and keeping the car.
2. Paying the $1000, having the car fixed, and selling the car.
3. Selling the car, as is.
If I keep the car, I’ll keep the truck. The truck will not sell for all that much, and I am not going into debt to buy the newer truck. If I sell the car, I’ll also sell the truck. I’ll take the money I make an put it towards a newer truck.
I’ll let you know what I decide. Right now, my gut tells me that I’ll just pay the $1000 and keep the car, but I think it’s worth running the numbers, just in case I can find a good deal on a used truck.
Click here to read about how I paid cash for our minivan last year. I’ll use a lot of the same techniques when / if I decide to buy a newer truck.