I am a huge fan of Dave Ramsey and the Dave Ramsey radio show!
(In fact, if you go back and read my first post, you’ll see that I was inspired by Dave to begin this blog.)
I have talked to Dave on four different occasions. (Now, before you get the wrong “idea”, I’ve never actually had a one-on-one conversation with Dave, but I HAVE called into his radio program and been selected to “talk” to Dave four times.) What are my “secrets” to getting on the air? Well, first off, it helps to have an awesome debt reduction blog! (Just kidding…)
1. Dave’s show goes live at 2PM Eastern Time. (The show airs at 3PM on XM Radio and 9PM on Sirius, but the show actually begins taping around 2PM!) I have managed to get on air twice by calling at around 1:30 PM. Calling any earlier than that seems to be a waist of time, but waiting much longer simply allows other callers to get ahead of you.
2. Once I get the screener on the phone (usually Laura) I get STRAIGHT to the point. I always have a SPECIFIC question to ask or a SPECIFIC statement to make!
3. I listen to the show. (One of the few problems I have with the show, Dave has to answer the SAME questions, over and over and over and over…) If you listen to the show, then you can get a “feel” for what Dave is talking about on a particular day.
4. If I cannot get on the air at the beginning of the show, I wait for Dave to hangup after he is finished talking to another caller, and then I hit redial. If I get a busy signal, instead of constantly hitting redial, I just wait until I hear him hangup on another caller. This has worked for me twice.
5. I called Dave to scream that I was “Debt-Free”. I made sure that when I talked to the screener, I mentioned how much Dave and his teachings had helped me. (It never hurts to give them a reason to put you on the air!)
The above techniques have helped me get on Dave’s radio program on four different occasions. They may or may not work for you. I have no affiliation with Dave or the Dave Ramsey Show, I’m just a huge fan! If you use any of these techniques to get on the air with Dave, leave me a comment and let me know.